miercuri, 8 aprilie 2015

REVIEW - Gates of Thread and Stone (Gates of Thread and Stone #1) by Lori M. Lee

Synopsis:

In the Labyrinth, we had a saying: keep silent, keep still, keep safe.

In a city of walls and secrets, where only one man is supposed to possess magic, seventeen-year-old Kai struggles to keep hidden her own secret—she can manipulate the threads of time. When Kai was eight, she was found by Reev on the riverbank, and her “brother” has taken care of her ever since. Kai doesn’t know where her ability comes from—or where she came from. All that matters is that she and Reev stay together, and maybe one day move out of the freight container they call home, away from the metal walls of the Labyrinth. Kai’s only friend is Avan, the shopkeeper’s son with the scandalous reputation that both frightens and intrigues her.

Then Reev disappears. When keeping silent and safe means losing him forever, Kai vows to do whatever it takes to find him. She will leave the only home she’s ever known and risk getting caught up in a revolution centuries in the making. But to save Reev, Kai must unravel the threads of her past and face shocking truths about her brother, her friendship with Avan, and her unique power.

REVIEW:

To be honest, I have such mixed feelings about this book, because some things I really loved and others not so much. So, I will try to make a short, sincere and, hopefully, coherent review in which I will talk about the pros and cons. 

Since the first time I saw the cover and I read the synopsis I was intrigued enough that I knew that sometime I had to read it. Books with time are not so original, but is quite unique, in my opinion, because she can control it and not really travel through it or something. So, the idea of the novel I really liked and I liked how the author presented it.

Other things that I liked about the book were the world and the characters, but not so much the main protagonist. But we'll get there. The world, for me, was beautiful, as beautiful as it can be in such a situation and I enjoyed the parts that we had the opportunity to see. Maybe in the next book we'll see more. I was saying that I liked the characters, especially Irra (hopefully I didn't butcher this) and Reev. Avan was ok in my opinion and I felt that in some moments the plot was spinning too much around him and Kai's relationship. 

What I didn't like: Kai, the ending and I felt almost nothing for nothing that happen in the book and for no one. Let me make it clear - if I don't feel something when I'm reading a book, in my opinion is something very bad. Because how can I enjoy reading about someone doing something if I don't care for them?

About the ending I won't talk, because spoilers, but it was kinda meh. I mean, after all the things that happen and all the secrets, that's the ending? Really? I wanted somehing more, I dunno, action packed or suspenful. 

And now let's talk about Kai. She's not bad, but she bore me a lot and everytime she was in the lights I felt the need to skim read. I can't put my finger on what I don't like, but she wasn't so strong and alive, and. I felt nothing and sometimes I felt that she didn't feel; if it makes sense. 

So, to sum up, I really like the world and it was very complexe and original, in my opinion, and the idea. The characters, excepting Kai, even the bad guys, were likeable. Now when I write this I think I displike Kronos too. Hm. I'll read the sequel because I want to know what can happen next, especially after that ending, but if it was just for Kai I won't continue this series/trilogy or whatever it is. You can pick this up, because is good and maybe you'll be lucky and you'll like Kai, more than I did.


Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for approving me a copy!

0 comentarii: