vineri, 5 septembrie 2014

REVIEW - Press Play by Eric Devine


Synopsis:

Greg Dunsmore, a.k.a. Dun the Ton, is focused on one thing: making a documentary that will guarantee his admission into the film school of his choice. Every day, Greg films his intense weight-loss focused workouts as well as the nonstop bullying that comes from his classmates. But when he captures footage of violent, extreme hazing by his high school’s championship-winning lacrosse team in the presence of his principal, Greg’s field of view is in for a readjustment.

Greg knows there is a story to be told, but it is not clear exactly what. And his attempts to find out the truth only create more obstacles, not to mention physical harm upon himself. Yet if Greg wants to make his exposé his ticket out of town rather than a veritable death sentence, he will have to learn to play the game and find a team to help him.


REVIEW:

So, my review for this book will be short because I don't have so much to say and I consider that is better if you read the book for yourself.

I wanted to read this because I don't usually read this type of books and I said why not. Now, this book has many themes in it so I guess that was the problem: it has the lacrosse thing, the bullying, Greg's problem with weight and they didn't mix. In my opinion. This novel had a good idea but for me didn't work. I felt disconnected, I couldn't feel or sympathize with anyone, some parts were repetitive. And the whole mystery/thriller thing was solved to quickly.

Now I don't say that should have taken half of the book, but...you build this whole thing, you're searching and building and in a page or two you solve it. Plus when the bad guy "paid" it happened in a few words. What am I trying to say is that some parts seemed dragged off and some were too short. It wasn't boring, but sometimes I wanted it to end faster.

I won't talk about the story, the plot or anything because I don't spoil, but this didn't impressed me. I was expecting something big and explosive...it was, in essence, but how it was expressed... The characters were ok, nothing special, and don't tell me that they shouldn't have been special just because they are teenagers and usually they are boring and normal. 

But let end this here. It wasn't a bad book but didn't impress me. It had good and bad parts. Kinda plain characters. Good idea, ok writing, no emotions, quick ending and solving stuff. I don't regret reading it but I don't know if I would recommend it. But if you think it sounds good who I'm to stop you? 


3/5

Thanks to NetGalley for the opportunity to read this! : )